Tuesday, January 27, 2009

White Death

I don't like winter storms for obvious reasons. I have to work in them. I get a little tired of people wishing, hoping, and praying for snow because they get out of school and work. Do they realize how many people have to work in this stuff? Emergency responders like police, fire, and EMTs? Power crews and highway departments? They don't get snow days.

Of course, the news must go on and cover all of it. I can't call in no matter how bad this stuff gets. And you know, I want to stay in my warm and cozy home just as much as the next guy. Once, I had to stay overnight and do the morning show because the producers could not make it to the station. But I am lucky in that I don't have to be out in the weather while I'm working. I sit at a desk or run around answering phones and trying to make sure we've got all of the information. Still, it's aggravating. Especially when you've got kids calling in to see if they have to go to school and they can't even form a sentence.

So, right now, my car is in the garage so I won't have to scrape it off when I leave for work. I'll get in the shower a little earlier to allow myself plenty of time for a slow commute. I'll use the storm as an excuse to wear my "severe weather jeans" instead of dressing up. I'll pack my dinner so I don't have to leave the station until I go home. And I'll bring a tarp to put over my car so I won't have to work my butt off trying to bust through an inch of ice on my windshield like I did last night. White death sucks.

No comments: