Monday, January 19, 2009

Unanswered Prayers

It's true. "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." But you don't believe it until you're far removed from the situation you're praying about. I mention this because I heard "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by Garth Brooks on the radio, which always reminds me of "Unanswered Prayers" also by Garth Brooks.

I try not to think about a certain period of my life, which was not too long ago, that brought on a lot of pain, a lot of tears, and a lot of praying. I've never been big on religion but I had nowhere else to turn. To think of how many times I prayed for God to change me, to change him, to change us. I promised everything. I'd do this from now on. I wouldn't do that anymore. I read books. I went to a Christian counselor. I tried to stick it out. But I ended up having to give it up.

And thinking back now, if my prayers had been answered, where would I be? Who would I be? I wouldn't be me. I'd still be trying to please someone else, not succeeding, and miserable. Instead, I'm a very happy gal with a fruitful life ahead of me. I'm glad I tried and prayed about it, but grateful someone knew better and guided me here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A million cliches are appropritae here. I'll just leave you with a few of my favorites--"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," "God knows best," and the CLASSIC "everything happens for a reason."
Nevertheless, I am so happy for you now. You deserve happiness!