Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lucky

I didn't get up until almost 10am today. This is not the norm. Usually I can crawl out of bed by 9am. Point being, I really have no reason I have to get up. And this is why I'm lucky.

I've worked an evening schedule for practically 5 years. Before that, I worked the graveyard shift for a little more than a year. At my first job, my schedule changed a lot. Sometimes I opened, sometimes I closed. And in college, I purposely scheduled my classes so I didn't have to get up too early. Some days I didn't wake up until noon or 1pm and totally missed lunch in the sorority house. That sucked because I like to eat as much as I like to sleep.

I have no kids. I have dogs but they're very patient with me and usually don't wake me up with whines to go outside. So the only thing that gets me up in the morning is my ambition. And apparantly it was sleeping this morning, too. I don't get much of time after work before I go to bed so the morning is sort of like my evening. The earlier I get up, the more time I have to do housework and errands, cook dinner, walk the dogs, or just lay back in the recliner before it's time to get ready for work again.

It seems like I always have something on my to-do list but this time of year it gets especially crammed with Christmas cards, holiday shopping, and present wrapping. I can't imagine what it would be like if I also did other traditional activities like bake cookies or make fudge. So what am I doing with my free time this morning? I'm blogging, checking out Facebook, and deleting emails. Pretty much avoiding all of those things I said I need to be doing.

By the time I get up and get moving, even if it's relatively early for me, most of my friends are well into their day and probably have a number of tasks finished. Partly because they're an hour ahead of me. Partly because they have busy live with work or kids or both. And yet here I am at 11am, sitting in the kitchen in my pajamas, eating pop tarts and drinking milk, on the computer and listening to music. That's what I call multi-tasking.

No comments: