Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Getting Creative

I try to eat at home at much as possible. Regardless of my financial situation. But this week, I have no choice. So I’m getting creative. For lunch, I made egg sandwiches since we seemed to have a surplus of eggs and leftover hamburger buns. For dinner, I’m having a few hot dogs that I'll microwave and more leftover hot dog buns. I went to the store this morning and bought just what I needed. Nothing more. Funny, if I did that all of the time, I’d probably have more money! The rest of the week will be tricky. I’m thinking of a green bean casserole, maybe some grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. You gotta do what you gotta do with what you have.

A friend got me thinking of the movie Some Kind of Wonderful so that’s what’s in the VCR now. It’s not even the real movie. It’s a copy a friend made for me in high school. But I practically memorized it because I watched it so much. Eric Stolz, Mary Stuart Masterson. Even little Candace Cameron. Life doesn’t get much better than a good 80s teen movie. Girls Just Want to Have Fun, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink. The list goes on. But I eventually need to get them on DVD. They are my timeless treasures.

Yesterday was opening day in major league baseball. And it got me thinking. There is not a single sport that I’m fanatic about. I’m not really an IU fan. I don’t go crazy for the Colts. And if the Cards are playing, I don’t really care. I don’t have a team. I’ve never made that connection. I’m not sure why. I played basketball and softball. I know the rules. I can follow along. But I just don’t care. I wonder if I’m missing out on something. I did enjoy the last football season for the first time in my life. I didn’t latch onto a team or anything. But Sunday Night Football became a ritual in our house. Just like Saturday morning bacon and the Sunday morning newspaper. The older I get, the more routine is comforting.

(978)

No comments: