Monday, December 13, 2010

Who You'd Be Today

I tell people I'm an only child. But that's not the whole story. Truth is, I had a sister I never knew. And she would have turned 37 years old today. Staci Lea Malone passed away about 8 months after she was born. She was with Mom and Dad at a racetrack when a car lost control and hit them. Staci died on the way to the hospital. Mom was hospitalized and couldn't attend Staci's funeral. That's about all I know. And I didn't even learn that from my parents. It's something we don't really talk about. But even though I may not talk to Mom and Dad today, I know they are thinking about her. And I am, too. I wonder how different things would have been if she was here. I would probably have a brother-in-law as well as nieces and nephews. I wonder where she would have called home. What kind of career she would have. What kind of relationship the two of us would have developed. But it makes me smile to think about Staci enjoying heaven with Papaw and my cousin, Jason. I talk to her sometimes, especially when I'm feeling really down or have a big decision to make. I think Kenny Chesney's "Who You'd Be Today" pretty much sums it up. Happy Birthday, Sis.

"Would you see the world?
Would you chase your dreams?
Settle down with a family?
I wonder what would you name your babies?
Some days the sky's so blue
I feel like I can talk to you
And I know it might sound crazy...

It ain't fair you died too young
Like a story that had just begun
The death tore the pages all away
God knows how I miss you
All the hell that I've been through
Just knowing no one could take your place
Sometimes I wonder who you'd be today..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

entesersJIM SAID HE REMEMBERS HER QUITE WELL. HE SAID SHE WAS SITTING IN FRONT OF HIM WHEN IT HAPPENED, JIM DROVE YOUR DAD TO THE HOSPITAL HE SAID ANYTIME YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT HE IS HERE. LOVEYA MITZI.

super jane said...

even though you may have never known her, it's obvious she's a part of your life. i'm glad you hold a special place for her. she's such an adorable baby girl!
love you.

Lucy and Lloyd said...

What a sweet tribute to your sister.