Sunday, November 7, 2010

Party/Politics

It's been a stressful week for me. Election night is one of the busiest and hectic times in news. In the eight years I've been a producer, I've learned that I can't wait until election night to start working on it. This year, I started my rundown one week ahead of time and did my research during spare moments at work and even last weekend. But now it's over and although there are primaries and an odd year election in between, I really don't have to worry about it for another two years.

I was also stressed out this week from planning Pmo's surprise birthday party. I love surprising him and seeing the look on his face. It's one of my favorite things to do. Plus I get lots of hugs in return. Last year, I took him to French Lick to see Ron White and ride a train. This year, I invited his family to a cookout at our house and recruited my parents to cook chicken and potatoes on the grill. I fixed green bean casserole, pasta salad, brownies and coconut cake. Mom also brought corn. And his aunt brought a grape salad that I am in love with now.

I wasn't sure how to tell Pmo when the big moment came. I finally decided to just let my parents show up with the cooker, then I'd spring it on him. He was on his new motorcycle getting ready to take it to the BMV to get his title and registration when they pulled in the driveway. He eventually went to the BMV, but he stuck around for a little bit when he figured out what was going on.

I'd been hiding things in the house all week in preparation for the party: charcoal, 2 liters, etc. I prepared the desserts on Friday and had to stash them somewhere, too. I did a bunch of laundry, especially dog blankets, and freshened up the guest bedroom. I cleaned the house. I swept the patio. I straightened up the garage. I lied to Pmo all week about why we couldn't do this or that on Saturday. Or made him think we were doing this or that on Saturday. I even had to email the guy he bought the motorcycle from to make sure the deal didn't go down on Nov. 6th.

The weather was also stressing me out. Here I thought all I'd have to worry about was rain. Didn't think we'd have a 25 degree morning. Not this early. Yes, I know it can happen. I also know that we sometimes get 90 degree weather in October. You can't win. But I was prepared to set up tables inside if it came down to it. We ended up eating outside in the sun and it was just fine. Pmo blew out candles on his cake and opened up his presents after we ate. Then Mom and I packed bunches and bunches of chicken and potatoes to send home with everyone. It was a good day. And for the most part, the dogs behaved. Jack was entertaining with his playfulness. Again, he's a dog's dog. Bug's foot was stepped on a few times. Once by me. He also got chicken grease dripped on the back of his neck because he kept sniffing and licking around the grill. And I'm pretty sure both were fed scraps. But they were pretty good. And tired at the end of the day.

I posted some pictures already on Facebook. But here's a few pics after everyone left. Me wearing one of Pmo's new hats. And Bug eagerly anticipating leftovers ;)


2 comments:

super jane said...

sounds like you all had a great time! it's only 9:17am and i am salivating thinking of your mom's chicken and potatoes! YUM!

Talina said...

I have politics and pity you with all that prep work and election day work :/

Glad the party went well, poor Bug though.