Saturday, September 14, 2013

Glimpse

I find it much easier to communicate through writing than speaking. I suspect most people are this way. Sitting at a desk with pen and paper, or in a chair with a keyboard and computer screen, along with time to think about what you're going to say, and the ability to go back and edit, is much easier than thinking on your feet, spouting out words and not being able to take them back.

I think that's why I don't blog often. I know it's going to be a time suck because I can't just sit down and start writing. I have to have something to say: a topic, an outline, a clever way to end it (hopefully). And I know it's going to be a time suck because I'm a perfectionist. Clarification, not everything I do is perfect, I just want it to be.

Enough blogging about blogging, or not blogging.

Over the weekend, I caught a glimpse. A glimpse of what my life could be like, maybe should be like, or would be like had I made different choices or if I was another type of person. Saturday night was more like what life IS like. Drinking, eating, dancing and hanging out with a small group of people at a winery. And the subsequent headache the next day.

On Sunday, Pmo and I went to church with his family. That's where the glimpse began. These thoughts always get stirring when I'm in a church. Surrounded by families and such. Normal life. The formal clothes, the kids running around, the pleasantries, the rituals, and of course, the sermon.

Next, we trekked over to Pmo's mom and stepdad's house for an impromptu visit. (Hello, Mike, if you're reading this.) Somehow, we quickly got into a conversation on the crisis in Syria and other worldly topics. Then we went out to lunch together and then Pmo and I headed back home.

I categorize these two events, church going and political discussion, as a glimpse because they are things Pmo and I rarely do. I could get into a variety of reasons why we don't, but I don't want to speak for him. However, it's interesting when we do experience these out of the ordinary situations and it certainly gives us something to talk about later.

There are plenty of churches near our home, should we find one to join?
We're not getting any younger, do we really want to have a baby?

And then there's politics, which we're just not that passionate about. It's not that we don't care, I think, we just focus on other things. Things we enjoy, things that matter to us, things we can control, to an extent.

In the end, I'm pretty happy with our way of life and I think Pmo is, too. I know who I am, what my priorities are and I wouldn't change much. But I'd like to think I'm open to different experiences and other ways of thinking, whether I agree with them or not. They surely give me material for my blog. What else am I going to write about, world peace?

No comments: